Jeremiah 29:11
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you HOPE and a future."
This past weekend we had the priviledge of attending a Legacy Retreat with an organization called Inheritance of Hope. Their mission is to inspire hope in young families facing the loss of a parent. Inheritance of Hope is a faith based organization.
I'm going to rewind our lives a little. Back in September 2013, when we first arrived at Indiana University Medical Center and Jon started his high dose chemo with stem cell transplant, a nurse approached us about applying for an all expense paid retreat to either New York City or Disney World in Orlando. She told us it was for families facing a life threatening illness and we qualified. Of course it hit me like a ton of bricks. Jon was facing a life-threatening illness and our family would qualify to apply. I started bawling. Jon, on the other hand, said APPLY! It's a free trip to Disney! So, being the submissive wife I am (HA!), I filled out the paperwork. It was only a few weeks later that I got a reply from Inheritance of Hope and we had been accepted! It definitely gave Jon something to look forward to as he faced a very grueling schedule of high dose chemo. We decided on the February trip to Disney. We originally thought Jon would still be on oral chemo during the time so we were a little hesitant.
So we just put this in our back pocket and remembered that we would have something to look forward to after Indy, surgery and check ups.
Strebe's new motto: "You can't make this stuff up"
Let me preface this by saying prior to going to Orlando, Jon and Luke ran fevers and had bad congestion and Luke had thrown up one night. Ryan had run a fever and had just started the congestion. We were passing a sickness around but the kids had been pretty good the day before we left.
Being the adventurous person and mom that I am, I decided to take the kids by myself down to Disney early on Thursday and have some fun before the retreat officially started on Saturday. We left on Thursday morning, and the trip went great! (Ironically I haven't travelled alone with them since they were babies). We got down to Disney about 3pm. We checked into our hotel room and got settled. I wanted to get the kids to bed early that night so we headed to Chik-fil-A around 5. The kids played on the playground and attempted to eat their dinner. About 5:30 Luke started complaining of his ear "popping" and Ryan had gunk just flowing out of his eyes from the cold the boys had. I gave Luke tylenol thinking if it was pain that would settle it. I realized they were all tired so took them back to the hotel. By the time we got back I realized Emma Kate had a 102 fever and Luke was in so much pain he was bawling. He would sleep for 30 minutes and wake up just crying SO bad which is extremely abnormal for him. At this point I'm completely kicking myself for coming by myself. I'm thinking we could have just come with Jon after work on Friday like we had originally planned! So I get the babies to sleep and call Jon. Part of me said they will be fine in the morning and we will move on with our day at Disney. The other part of me said if things go south and I'm here by myself I'm in big trouble tomorrow. After Jon and I talked we decided he better get in the car and come down (as if he hasn't missed enough work). I felt TERRIBLE. He got to our hotel at 2am and entered to find Ryan crying because his eyes were stuck together from all the gunk. Luke had settled by now because I gave him a second dose of Tylenol.
So the next day it was COLD and RAINY. Miserable day. We went to ride the monorail that was not operating. We then went to a fun restaurant and while we were there Luke was going downhill fast. He had not eaten for a couple of days and he was just miserable. We decide that we must take him to an Urgent Care. We found one right around the corner from where we were staying but we get there and it is a complete hole in the wall (Jon called it trailer trash because part of it was a trailer). So I kept searching on my phone and found a pediatric one in a nearby nice town. We went there and waited for it to open at 4pm. We were first in line! They check Luke out pretty quickly and I was very impressed with the doctor. He diagnosed him with pneumonia and double ear infection. He put him on antibiotics and ordered us to do his breathing treatments every 4-6 hours (his asthma plays into all this). We leave and he goes downhill even more. Spikes a 102 fever, sleeps 14 hours. I was very worried about him. He was one sick boy! Saturday we took it easy so that Luke and Emma Kate could begin feeling better.
Our conference started on Saturday night where we met with other couples with life threatening diseases. The kids were taken care of by volunteers. All 3 of our kids were together in the "fun" room. Luke had started feeling a bit better by this point. Jon and I were in a group where we all introduced ourselves and briefly told our story. These stories are eye opening and sad and heart breaking. And all these people are pretty young (23-55). One 23 year old has testicular cancer, treated at IU at the same time as Jon and his high dose chemo did not work. He is doing clinical trials. A lot of people with brain cancer. A young lady with 3 small children has cancer and had to have her leg amputated. She is also being treated at IU Cancer Center. Some very strong in their faith, some searching for God, some realizing they have walked away from God, some with no faith at all, no belief in God. 16 families from 14 states come together to enjoy a super weakend while having the support of people going through similiar circumstances while Inheritance of Hope volunteers serve each and every family. We didn't have to think of one thing, everything was all done for us. We ended the night with a dinner and we had a guest come knocking on the door! It was Mickey Mouse!! So special!
More drama: Saturday night Emma Kate throws up half the night. Poor girl, it was sad. I was changing beds at 4am because she had thrown up on both beds. I couldn't get to her in time. Jon took care of her from that point forward and it was so cute because they had a little system. Most of you know Jon has lost a lot of hearing and so Emma Kate layed on him and they worked out a deal that everytime she needed to throw up she would tap him on the shoulder (because he couldn't hear her) and he would run with her to the bathroom. I think only one time they didn't make it and it went all over the floor. He was getting up with her every 15-30 minutes.
Jon and Emma Kate slept during our morning session and then we all headed to Magic Kingdom. It was a great day. 2 volunteers, Bobby and Jessica stayed with us the whole day and helped us push strollers, carry children, literally whatever we needed! It was amazing and they were a blessing! The kids fell in love with them and miss them already. We had a great day in the park and stayed until 10:30pm.
Monday we had morning counseling meetings and split up with caregivers in one group and ill people in the other group. IOH does a great job of providing resources and support for everyone. They also provide fun, memories, and legacy opportunities for the participants. We then headed to another fun day at Universal Park with Jessica! We were all GODSTRONG that day. Jon and I even got to ride a roller coaster together. We headed back by 5:30 so that we could have Kids Night Out/Date Night. IOH plans your date for you and takes you there! They also set up a place you can go and make a legacy video for your children. Jon and I made it fun and did NOT cry! Then they provide a counselor to meet with you as a couple to touch base and talk about whatever is on your mind.
Tuesday morning they do a closing ceremony, present the gospel and send you off to Sea World. We got home at 11:30pm Tuesday night.
It was a great encouraging, uplifting relaxing and eye opening experience. We were able to share our faith very openly and share that being GODSTRONG is what has gotten us through this trial. Jon and I were able to share some special things in our groups when we were split up.
If you would like to know more about this organization please visit:
www.inheritanceofhope.org
There is much opportunity. You can become a volunteer. You can become a donor. You can financially support a family to be able to go on this retreat. If you live in the Orlando area you can definitely get involved in many ways. You can also nominate a family that one of the parents has a terminal illness. Check out the website. It is a great organization! I highly recommend you looking around the website and finding out more about Inheritance of Hope. Also go to Inheritance of Hope's Facebook page. Their cover photo is LUKE!!!
Here are a few pictures of the retreat.
Inheritance of Hope and all the staff and volunteers: YOU ARE A BLESSING!! THANK YOU!




2 comments:
What an amazing organization and time!! So glad you got to go!! Can't believe the stuff you had to go through and how sick your kiddos were. Poor little ones!! Like you say, you don't make it up-- haha! :) What a wonderful time, though, that God gave you to be together and have a bit of a chance to process everything and still survive all that sickness! Love you all so much-- Amy and fam :))
It was amazing to watch you and Jon your faith is so bright and I wouldnt have known you were dealing with that much lack of sleep. You two are amazing children of God... I love that♥♥. Your babes are blessed... and I love my shirt n bracelet. . Love you guys.
Post a Comment