Saturday, August 23, 2014

This is Jon-it's been way to long!

Hey everyone,

      It has been way too long since I last posted a blog.  For that I am truly sorry!  I must say, we as a family have very much enjoyed our summer together.  It is the first time since I can remember not working or having to deal with fighting cancer.  It was such a blessing to spend quality time with my family, and even experience what it is like to be Mr. Mom.  Wow, I knew my wife was special, but after taking on her responsibilities I now realize that she is super woman!!
     My wife and I made a trip to Indianapolis two Monday's ago for my every two month check up.  It marked the year anniversary of the start of my high dose treatment rounds.  It is a big milestone as far as the medical field goes.  I am blessed to say that my scan and blood work was totally clear!  Praise the Lord.  We now go from a 90% cure rate, to a 97% cure rate!  Even though, I may never truly consider myself "cancer free", it is a very good place to be!!  Thank you goes out to everyone who has prayed, and continues to do so for me and my family!  We are so very blessed to have people who are so faithful and diligent in their support for the Strebe family.   We now will go back to Indy every 4 months for my checkup.
     When you have a relationship with God, there are times in your life where you cry out to God, and say what are you doing in my life right now?  You don't understand why you have to go through some of the things that you are going through, you just trust that this is God's will for your life.  Sometimes, you never find out why you were given the opportunity to struggle.  For me, I have had many of the moments in my life.  However, I must say recently I have discovered some of the reasons why God has chosen my family and I to be challenged in our fight against cancer.
     It is because of my diagnosis, and subsequent healing that God has given me the opportunity to use my story to reach others for Christ.  Donna and I feel an extreme burden to share our story when appropriate, and use it for His glory.  Many of you know that I was given an opportunity to speak in a local church in Indy last October, just a day after receiving a round of high dose chemotherapy.  An amazing opportunity for a pastor to give up his pulpit to a person whom the only thing he really knew about me was that I was battling cancer, and was a friend of an elder at his church.  However, it was because of Cori's decison to allow me to speak in his church, that I was able to reach the people who attended that evening.  Additionally, I can't tell you how many times I, and in particular Donna has been able to share with others about our experience, and has referred them to my "sermon" that has been posted on youtube.  I have also had pastor's, and bible study leaders from other churches tell me that they have used that sermon to inspire, motivate, and ultimately use for His glory, and the growth of His Children.  A very humbling experience, but such an amazing way to see how God uses even the worst things in your life for His good.
     I was also given an opportunity to speak to our church's youth group this past spring.  It was there that God gave me the words to speak to the young people in attendance that evening.  That night, God moved 7 young people to make commitments to follow Christ.  Again, what an unbelieveably humbling experience to be used by God to move people towards Christ!!
     God also opened the door for me to speak to the staff of a christian organization in Atlanta, National Christian Foundation, where my mother-in-law happens to work.  I was given 20 minutes to share my story, which I preceded to do.  Fifty minutes later I completed my speech :).  For those of you that know me, you won't be shocked that I went over my time limit.  I am not sure I have ever stayed within the parameters of speaking time.  I guess add it to the laundry list of things I need to improve upon?
     During the basketball season, a good friend who happens to be the head women's basketball coach at University of Auburn at Montgomery, asked me to speak to his team prior to playing one of their regular season games.  I was honored that he would ask, as his team had supported our family through our cancer fight, sending us team t-shirts that had been signed by each team member and coach.  To be able to close the loop, and give back, motivating them in the game of basketball as well as life was a tremendous honor!
     Finally, about a month ago, I was given one of the most difficult tasks to give a eulogy for a colleague who had lost her fight with cancer.  My good friend Joy had been diagnosed just months before I was diagnosed.  We traveled very similar paths together, and shared and encouraged one another throughout our processes.  I truly believe that God used me that afternoon to honor her life, and the life of her family.  I was having a discussion with a fellow colleague at work recently.  She began to tell me that she had attended Joy's funeral where I spoke.  She said that she felt like I was totally speaking to her throughout the service.  God has moved her heart to recommit to attending church and because of that her family is now going to church on a consistent basis.
     I tell you all of this, not to puff myself up, or pat myself on the back.  Instead, I want to encourage you to persevere through whatever battle or struggle it is that you are currently, or have gone through in the past.  God will honor your commitment to Him, and He will use the way you handle that struggle for His glory.  You may never know the importance of the seeds that you are planting in people's lives, but you can trust that if you heart is open to being used, that God will indeed honor that and use you to the fullest extent.  Again, thank you for you prayers, love and support.  I will try not to let the gap in between posts be so wide.  God bless!

Jon
   

1 comment:

AmyG said...

So blessed by how our Lord is shining through your family! Prayers will continue and we are soo overjoyed at all that God has done and continues to do!! Much love from the AZ Fam :)