Sorry I left you all hanging. We DID make it home for Thanksgiving and it was wonderful! We celebrated with Jon's parents and my mom. We had a very yummy dinner but most of all we were all rejoicing that Jon was with us celebrating wonderful news.
With my mom staying here, we were able to get all of our Christmas up which was great. Jon's favorite time of year is Christmas so it's been nice to be able to sit and enjoy the Christmas tree and decorations every night.
Jon is doing fabulous. He went back to work this past week 1/2 days. He feels really good. He has also had basketball games this week at night that he is the Athletic Rep for so he has been quite busy. I also have volunteered him to coach Luke's 4-5 yr old basketball team, so that adds yet one more thing to his already busy schedule. Next week he will teach full time so pray that he will have extra strength. He will also start refereeing after the beginning of the year. I think he is amazing. I can't believe he had thoracic surgery 2 weeks ago, had 8 cuts, and is acting like nothing ever happened. He has a full beard, lots of eyebrows, and his hair looks normal. Its amazing how quickly he started looking like the Jon we knew a year ago. The day we flew back home from Indy this last time was exactly, to the day, 11 months after Jon was diagnosed with testicular cancer--lung metastasis.
It has been quite an 11 months. It has been emotionally draining for both of us. It was been physically draining for Jon. Ironically, Jon is feeling re-energized and full of life. I am blah and extremely exhausted. I currently sleep more than the kids. I go to sleep soon after the kids go to bed and some mornings I sleep until 8:30 or 9 depending on Jon's schedule. I hope I go back to normal quickly:o). This is a lot of the reason the blog hasn't been updated.
Before I let you go, I just wanted to add something to my funny story about my rings getting stuck on my finger. This is from Jon's point of view. He claims that this is what he remembers from the event. He remembers 2 "garden hoses" (chest tubes) stuck up into his ribs. He said he would lay in the bed and watch the nurses by pass him, straight to my chair I was sitting in beside the window. According to Jon, the nurses were getting their cousins, brothers cousins, their brothers' cousins' brother, etc for help. Calling the ER, and never remembering that Jon was the actual patient. Jon said for a while he was wondering who the patient was with all the attention my finger was getting. He cracks me up!
Jon will go back to Indianapolis January 8th for a follow up with the thoracic surgeon, chest x-ray, blood work, and a follow up with his oncologist. He will also get his power port taken out that week in Atlanta, and see his urologist! Wow, I'm tired thinking about that week. We are choosing to enjoy this time of year and the good news. But please continue to pray for us. We will definitely have "scanxiety" as January 8th gets closer. Please also pray for Jon's body. It has been through a lot this past 11 months. His body has been filled with lots of toxins. He has had 2 surgeries, a lung biopsy, and a port placement. There are consequences on your body to taking this many toxic drugs. Jon has lost a lot of his hearing. He has ringing in his ear constantly. He has neuropathy in his feet (he NEVER complains about it). Please pray that God will protect his body from long term side effects from chemo such as heart problems, secondary cancers, kidney problems, the list goes on. Although these side effects are more rare, Jon has had high doses of chemotherapy and we don't want to be naive. I want you to join with us in praying specifically for Jon's body to be protected from these potential complications. We will be forever changed because of this 11 months. I am reminded everyday to give Jon up to the Lord and trust Him with his future. I have no control and this is good for me!
Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Ephesians 6:10 "Finally be strong in the Lord and in His Mighty Power."
Psalm 46:1 "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble."
The Strebe's are…
GODSTRONG!!
This is Luke's "epi pen" that he carries with him everywhere he goes. Most of you know he has a severe tree nut allergy (he went into anaphylactic shock at 2 1/2 yrs. old after eating a cashew). He loves pretending all the time!
The kids are very into picnics these days. They now all have a lunchbox and we pack them up and head to the park, tennis courts, beach, etc to have our lunch.
This is Ryan's new Thomas the train underwear. He loved it when we bought it but then told me he isn't going to wear it! We are working on warming up to the idea of potty training. Fun times.



1 comment:
Soo good to see these pics and hear all that is going on! Continuing to pray and continuing to praise, too! You deserve to sleep forever, Donna! Sleep as much as you need to, and we are soooo thankful Jon is feeling so good. We will continue to pray for His body's protection through all of this! Love you bunches-- Amy and fam :)
Post a Comment