I have tried to respect Jon's privacy and avoid writing about some of the details of this process. But Jon is completely on board with me sharing some specific details of how God has TOTALLY worked in this entire process.
Initially, when Jon went for his routine MRI and chest x-ray and the tumors on his lungs were found, the doctor also ordered an ultrasound of the remaining testicle. He has always told us that Jon was at a higher risk for having testicular cancer in both testicles although that is very rare. Jon has all along during these 6.5 years had routine ultrasounds of that remaining testicle. During the most recent ultrasound they found a tumor. Although very small, they felt like it needed to be removed. So the plan was for the doctor to go in and remove the tumor and have it examined during surgery. If the results showed cancer, the doctor would perform a complete orchiectomy (removal of the testicle). If the results showed no cancer, he would perform a partial orchiectomy removing only the tumor.
When it came back as "suspicious" it was a little tougher decision. When the doctor and I had our meeting in the middle of surgery on Monday, he said the decision could go either way, there wasn't a clear, right or wrong answer with what to do. The risk was that the doctor would do a complete orchiectomy and we find out later it wasn't cancer. Or, we decide to do a partial orchiectomy and we find out it is cancer, and he would have to go back in at some point and do a complete orchiectomy. And if you remember my story, at the end of the conversation the doctor felt like God had showed him what to do, I agreed that he would perform a complete orchiectomy (which is obviously not ideal for a 36 year old).
Fast forward to Friday night (5 days later). Dr. Ritenour calls us. He had just read the pathology report from Monday's surgery. He says to us, "God works in mysterious ways!" The original tumor that he went in to remove (that was found on the ultrasound) came back as seminoma (the same type of testicular cancer Jon had the first time in 2006). The pathologist also examines every part of the tissue from the testicle that is removed. The surprising part is hidden in the tissue they found a TINY, TINY tumor. So small, it did not show up on the ultrasound. And the pathology report on this TINY tumor came back as embryonal carcinoma which is the very same malignant germ cell that was found on the path report for his lungs (a mixture of non-seminoma and seminoma). Amazingly, God had literally led Dr. Ritenour to remove that testicle not having a CLUE they would find hidden in there most likely the source of this cancer in his lungs! I don't know why I am, but I am AMAZED at how God led and orchestrated the surgery and how HE is the one that led the doctor to remove the testicle.
I think the doctor was more relieved than us to find out the news:o). He did not make this decision lightly and I know it has weighed on his mind since Monday anticipating whether the path results would come back cancer or not cancer. I told him tonight that we appreciate him more than he could ever know.
We also found out some other news from our oncologist. Because there is non-seminoma in his lungs, there was some disappointing news but something all of us can pray for. SOMETIMES, the non-seminoma is not quite as responsive to the chemotherapy as the seminoma. There is a small possibility that when the chemo is finished, there would still be some non-seminoma cells left in the lungs. Jon would then have to have surgery to "scoop" out the remaining malignant cells. Please pray that through the chemo drugs, God would remove every malignant cell in Jon's body!
Jon will start chemo at 10AM Monday morning. Please pray with us that a miracle will happen in Jon's body! We see so clearly that God's hand is in this and we know that He will continue to work miracles!
We made a decision to come back to Hilton Head on Thursday after Jon's oncology appointment for the weekend. It has been very refreshing for all of us to get much needed rest and to enjoy the gorgeous weather here. The kids played outside for about 3 hours today in the beautiful 58 degrees while Atlanta was enjoying high of 39 degrees!:o) Jon was also able to work Friday and he did GREAT! He did get a little tired, but I am amazed at how well he has recovered from this surgery.
3 comments:
Wow!! Sooo amazed at God's leading in all of this and that you can have such peace and confirmation in the decisions. Praises to Him! And, we are amazed at your doc. What a blessing! Praying for Jon's recovery from this and for the chemo to cover everything!! So much love and so many prayers from the AZ fam.... :)
I will remind our Prayer Team at LCC to check your blog, which I'm ashamed to say I haven't, dealing epwith some of my own back surgery recovery. No excuse! I'm just glad as I was putting our prayer requests together in a folder on my ipad, I found your link! I, too, am sometimes AMAZED at the goodness of God to us! I am praying that God will totally remove any and all even tiny, minute cancer anywhere in Jon's body and heal him so he has a long, strong, productive life Lovimg, serving, and following His will! I also pray that our precious Father would shower you with peace in your role of the stand-by-and-watch spouse ~ which I'm sure makes you feel helpless. However, I do know what a caring, present, loving, PRAYING spouse can do for one with an illness (just ask Pastor Bob). We travel in our world of pain alone, no o e sharing the actual feelings; BUT walking through life with someone who is the one He has given to bear our burdens with us, helps immensely, even giving us strength and encouragement to get through the hard times. Bless you, Donna, with all you need to be all Jon needs right now and know that you are being prayed for as well as Jon :)! Forgive me for the lateness of getting to you!
I will be praying tomorrow as treatment begins. I knew Jon was rare the moment I met him and saw your eyes twinkling Donna. He is God's perfect husband for you!
Love you Donna and happy almost birthday!!!
Katie
Post a Comment