Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Say it isn't so…

Yes, more Strebe drama:

 First of all let me say, I know I told you Jon would be writing a blog post, and he IS going to. I have asked him on several occasions, but in his defense, he was finishing up one of his masters classes (yes, he is already back taking classes for his masters in administration). Isn't he amazing? Most of you remember that when he was diagnosed in December 2012, he was literally in the middle of his masters program. On top of that, he is working at least 4 nights a week (on top of teaching all day) so literally he has been staying up until 1 and 2 am and then getting up and doing it all over again. He will soon write his blog post:o)

 A week ago Ryan came down with a cough that quickly turned into croup. He had croup for the first time in Indy back in the fall. I remember getting up with him and he was gasping for breath. It was SO scary but it did not last long at all. He just kept having the barking cough. Well, this time he had croup AND stridor (he literally was gasping for breath and it was so scary). After we tried all the things we knew to do, we called the nurse and she called the doctor and they said to take him to the ER. So at 11:30pm, we made a 911 call to Jon's parents to come over and sit with the other kids. We left for Savannah with the air cranked as high as it would go. It was FREEZING in the car but thankfully my friend told me to take a blanket for Ryan! So we made the 35 minute ride which by the way seemed like FOREVER! As I'm sitting in the back with Ryan, he literally cannot talk because of his swollen voice box and then he would cough the barking cough and start the stridor. It was just scary! Once we got to the ER they took him fairly quickly and took him back for a chest x-ray and also gave him a steroid shot. By the time we left, 3 hours later, he was a different child! Here is the before and after pictures.

This is Ryan soon after we got to the ER, waiting on his chest x-ray.



Here is Ryan getting his chest x-ray.  Jon figured it was no big deal to be in the "line of fire" since he gets these ALL the time!


 And here is our baby boy at 3am about to leave the hospital with steroids in his system.  He was a MUCH happier boy!


So poor Jon, got 3 hours of sleep that night and then had to work days/nights for the next 3 days.  Now you really know why you haven't heard from him!  I have NO idea why our kids end up in the ER!  I sometimes think maybe I freak out too much, ha.  Well, I think I do but to confirm that I wasn't over reacting I confirmed with the doctor we made the right decision to come into the ER…WE DID!  The last time we drug our feet on going to the ER with Luke, he ended up having an all out asthma attack, throwing up and would not talk at all.  SUPER SCARY!  But like Jon said, we are thankful our kids are not dealing with something more serious.  ER visits for croup and asthma, we can handle!
BTW, Luke now has bronchitis and is on steroids and antibiotic and breathing treatments.  His asthma is just getting so bad so if he gets a cough it goes straight to bronchitis or pnemonia.

Some more fun things:

I crashed my car into Jon's car the other day (NO, NOT HIS SPORTS CAR, HA).  I mean, really??  It's bad enough to have your car wrecked, but to run your car into your own car!  UHHH.  At the time though Jon and I were just thankful no one was hurt and that I ran into a car and not a person!  Keeping life in perspective!

LOVED my Mother's Day.  I have 3 miracle children and being a mom to them is the biggest blessing EVER!  Jon did SUCH a great job of making me feel SOO special and so did the kids.  They all went over the top!  Such a blessing to be married to Jon and have these 3 beautiful children in my life.



Last thing, there are 3 people I would like for you to pray for!  They are cancer patients and have been on my heart lately!  One is Mike, just went through a bone marrow tranplant.  Please pray for his body to recover and God to heal him of this cancer.  Jaron, testicular cancer patient that went through same treatment as Jon at IU at the same time.  He is now doing a clinical trial.  Please pray that God will work in his body through the medicine that he is on.  He is such a strong man, and loves God.  Pray for his wife and 2 little girls!  And the last is Mark.  He is also a testicular cancer patient and also went through same treatment as Jon right after Jon at IU.  He is having some abnormal test results.  Please pray for the doctors as they move forward.  Pray for peace for Mark and his family!

God continues to work on me with my fear issues, especially with my children and Jon.  He definitely keeps giving me MANY opportunities to trust him and give my fears to HIM!  He is so good like that!  Here is a verse He gave me the other day:

When I said, "My foot is slipping," your unfailing love, Lord, supported me.  When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy.

Thanks and we continue to be 

GODSTRONG!!

1 comment:

AmyG said...

Soo glad poor Ryan is okay!! I am so sorry for his going through this-- reminded me of Luke here in Phx at the ER. Totally understand hitting your own car-- it can happen!! Glad no one was hurt, like you said!! Can't wait to see you all-- prayed right now for those men you shared about. Love and blessings, Amy :)